https://csbryan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/7110282_m.jpg 961 1442 Cheryl Bryan https://csbryan.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/CS-Bryan-color-1.png Cheryl Bryan2014-02-26 14:21:122020-07-13 11:04:49How to be Yourself at Work
How to be Yourself at Work
Do you ever feel like you have to put on a mask when you get to work?
As you move up in an organization, it can be challenging to adjust your behavior without losing yourself. Leaders are expected to fit in with their peers while demonstrating the ability to offer differing opinions. Here are some suggestions for achieving this delicate balance:
- Know your blind spots: be aware of the things that may derail your effectiveness and learn how to manage them.
- Choose your battles: voice your opinion when it really counts rather than disagreeing just for the sake of making a point.
- Channel your personality: if you have a wicked sense of humor, use it appropriately.
- Identify what you’re not willing to change: know your core values and demonstrate them consistently.
- Ask for feedback: find someone who will give you honest, objective input about how you’re doing and ask for it on a regular basis.
It is possible to be the same person at work that you are at home. Instead of masking your true identity, I encourage you to reveal the relevant aspects of your identity to each audience.