I first saw this Lewis Carroll quote in a high school guidance counselor’s office. The poster featured Alice in Wonderland’s White Rabbit checking his giant pocket watch before running madly toward a mysterious hole in the ground.
As someone who has always been in a hurry to get things done with maximum efficiency, I need to be reminded to slow down. Even as I write this I’m operating at warp speed to juggle competing priorities and too-short timelines. And sure enough, a few of my spinning plates have tipped a little too far for comfort.
If you’re also running around with too much to do and not enough time to get it all done, let’s take a collective deep breath – using the 4 square technique taught by yoga instructors and Navy SEALs and included in Dare to Lead:
Imagine moving around the 4 corners of a Square
- Inhale deeply through your nose, expanding your stomach, for a count of 4
- Hold in the breath for a count of 4
- Slowly exhale all the air through your mouth, contracting your stomach, for a count of 4
- Hold the empty breath for a count of 4
- Repeat until you feel calm – in for 4, hold for 4, out for 4, hold for 4
This will help us avoid that mysterious hole in the ground!