Essential Steps to Reconciliation
Every single one of my clients has struggled with a difficult relationship – personal, professional or both. Do you know anyone who hasn’t? Sometimes we give up because nothing seems to work. And then…we come back to a place where we decide it’s worth trying again because the relationship is too important. What can we change in ourselves to achieve a better outcome?
How You Can Reconcile Differences
These steps are essential to reconciling differences and moving forward:
- Be clear — about what you want and what you’re willing to do
- Be aware — of the boundaries you need to define so you both feel safe
- Be brave — make the first move
- Be honest — acknowledge your part of what isn’t working
- Be open — listen without judgement
- Be accountable – do what you say you’ll do
- Be imperfect – apologize when you fail and keep trying
Do Your Homework First
Any attempt at reconciliation has a better chance of success if you first spend some time reflecting on each step. Picture a flight attendant demonstrating the importance of putting your oxygen mask on before trying to assist someone else. You’re ready when you can let go of your expectations and the need to be right. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how coaching can support you in this process.