It is summer vacation time and parents occasionally have to find ways to entertain their kids that don’t involve electronics. Remember the classic game of finding the letters of the alphabet on road signs and billboards? You have to watch carefully to find those tough letters like “Q” and “Z”.
Driven, results oriented leaders sometimes miss a few signs on the way to their destination. One of the most frequent comments I hear when conducting 360 feedback interviews is, “he needs to do a better job of adjusting his style based on the situation.” Those signs might look like:
- High turnover on your team
- Difficulty getting your peers to support your ideas
- Your boss tuning you out or cutting you off
When you notice those signs, consider making these adjustments:
- Delegate more and micromanage less
- Take the time to build consensus
- Provide a high level summary and get into details only when asked
I invite you to try and identify one sign this week and figure out which direction you should go. It could make the trip a lot smoother!