What makes you trust someone? Transparency, maintaining confidentiality, delivering on commitments, telling the truth even when it’s difficult – these are some of the qualities of a trustworthy person. With the continual news about public figures abusing the trust of their constituents, fans and families, building an environment of trust is a timely topic for all leaders.
Here are a few fundamentals:
- Let go – delegate authority and trust your team to handle it responsibly
- Be honest – give constructive feedback
- Admit your mistakes – set the example for humility and learning
- Show that you care – about them as a person, not just an employee
- Be consistent – so people will know what to expect
Building trust takes time but it is an investment with a significant return. I invite you to consider one thing you might do this month to build trust with a colleague and how that might pay dividends to both of you.