On the Harvard Business Review website there are more than 10,000 articles, books, webinars and videos that mention communication skills. Would you agree that effective communication is essential to success in business?
For my clients who struggle with adjusting their style to their audience in formal presentations or everyday interactions, I recommend the following methodology:
- Identify your goal
- So you can be intentional about your approach
- Know your audience
- What are their expectations and personality types?
- Get feedback in advance
- For formal presentations and discussions that might be difficult
- Build consensus with key stakeholders who will support your position
- Follow up
- Ensure your message was heard
- Learn how you can improve
The more you practice, the more effectively you will be able to communicate in any situation. As they say in the theatre business, “Break a leg!”